Chef Rakhee Vaswani
Apr 02, 2018
Summer is here and beyond the beaches, bikinis and sunshine, one major downfall that can convert any bright, happy day into a moody, dull day is dehydration. With temperatures soaring up above 40 degrees throughout our country, dehydration is that constant nagging battle that we cannot seem to get rid of. Shortage of water in the body has the potential to cause fatigue and imbalance of required minerals in the body.
But don’t worry, stop sweating already! Keep a check on your food intake in addition to drinking loads of water and honestly, you can bid a happy farewell to dehydration.
Here are a few ways to keep your spirits up and high this summer:
1) Say hello to your new BFF: Fruits and vegetables! To begin with, fruits and vegetables that contain fibre should be your ultimate soulmate this summer. Add a variety of fruits and vegetables like cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, celery sticks, spinach, strawberries, watermelon and citrus fruits to your meal to keep dull days at bay.
2) Dark chocolate can be your saviour: If you want to make things interesting, I have a secret for you to pamper yourself while you bid goodbye to dehydration. Well, no kidding, it’s dark chocolate! Dark chocolate works wonders to fight dehydration and fatigue.
3) Fresh juice > aerated drinks: I would suggest that one should avoid aerated drinks and switch to fresh juice instead. Though smoothies are a great way to stay fresh throughout summers, nothing beats fresh juices when it comes to boosting your body with energy and the appropriate amount of hydration.
4) Eat your water content: Eating your water content is a brilliant way to stay hydrated throughout. Salads are a great way to ensure that you stay healthy and hydrated.
5) Detox your way through summer: My favourite fresh juice/detox drink that I swear by is a beautiful amalgamation of cucumber, lemon juice, honey, spinach and mint leaves! Grind them together. Not only is this an excellent dose of hydration but it also works wonders if you want to get some detox and brace yourself for the summer vibes! (recipe below)
6) Say ‘NO’ to spicy food: The next important aspect of discussion here is ‘what to avoid’. First no-brainer of course is to avoid spicy food. Not only does it increase heat in your body but it also deprives your body of crucial fluids which is not the best bet for your summer fun.
7) Avoid cigarettes and alcohol: This good old cliché is all the more crucial in summer. Avoiding cigarettes is extremely crucial in life. But the stakes are higher when we are talking about summer. Both these components dry up your cells and severely dehydrate your body.
8) Avoid caffeine: Caffeine is probably not the best company to keep around when the temperatures are soaring high. Caffeine sucks the moisture out of your body leading to dehydration.
9) Hello low-fat meals: Stick to low-fat meals to ensure easy digestion. Excessive fat affects your body temperature so the best way to stick around happily during summers is to take the healthy route.
10) The good old yoga fad: I’d suggest people to stick to yoga than other forms of exercise as yoga calms your body down in case there is an increase in temperature of your surroundings.
THE ULTIMATE SUMMER DETOX
My dietician/nutritionist Kejal Sheth also loves this detox recipe. Mainly because the Himalayan salt has trace elements, provides minerals, detoxifies, balances the body’s PH, reduces muscle cramps and helps balance sugar while the chia seeds are rich in omega 3 fatty acids, iron and fibre. This drink boosts the good kind of cholesterol while protecting you against stroke.
Grind all the ingredients except the chia seeds with water as per your requirement. Garnish with soaked chia seeds.
Healthy is the way to go for a fun, happy and exciting summer!
(The author is owner of Palate Culinary Studio and Academy)