DIY Food: Green Apple Gulab Jamun
Give a little twist to the all time favourite- Gulab Jamun. Photo via Dreamstime
The festive season is finally here, and so are the countless parties and family dos. And as we all know that with endless conversations, snacks and sweets are inevitable. But, the same old mithai is too over done we think. This year, woo your guests with a little twist to an all-time favourite sweet - gulab jamun!
What you will need:
1 green apple (peeled and finely grated)
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1. Make the sugar syrup by boiling water and sugar until it completely dissolves. Keep this aside to cool.
2. In a bowl, mix in the grated apple, flour, cardamom and milk. Mix it well until everything is incorporated.
3. Take small scoops of this dough and roll it into small balls.
4. Heat a kadhai and pour oil. Deep fry the dough balls until golden brown.
5. Soak the deep fried dough balls in the sugar syrup.
6. Garnish with chopped dry fruits and serve.
1. Add in a little more milk if you think the dough is too hard to work with.
2. A little saffron or cinnamon powder can be added for extra flavour.
3. Make sure to soak the dough balls in sugar syrup for atleast 15 minutes to make sure they have completely absorbed in the syrup.
4. If you don't have green apple, you can always use red ones.