DIY Food: Homemade Soft Serve Ice-Cream
Make yourself a cone of homemade soft serve. Photo via Wikimedia Commons.
Chilling on a hot summer day with a cone of creamy soft serve ice-cream is a dream for most of us.
Soft serve is a type of ice-cream that is softer than regular ice-cream and is served straight out of the soft serve machine.
So, is there a way to enjoy a good soft serve without having to step out in the blaring heat? Well, the only way we know is to make the soft serve in your own kitchen in the comfort of your air conditioner.
Here's how you can make a soft serve ice-cream.
What you will need:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk powder
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
450 grams of dry ice
1. In a large bowl, mix together milk, cream, sugar, milk powder, vanilla extract and salt.
2. Whisk well with a hand mixer/blender and keep it in the freezer to cool.
3. Once cooled, take out of the freezer and add crushed dry ice little by little while continuously mixing.
4. When the mix is thick and creamy enough, add it to a piping bag and pipe it in ice-cream cones.
5. Top it with some sprinkles and serve.
1. Make sure to handle the dry ice with care. Wear gloves and take proper precautions.
2. Serve within two hours of making.
3. To make it colourful, you can add a drop or two of liquid food colour.
Find a recipe here.