Oct 12, 2016
Fortune cookies are a great way to end your house parties. Apart from ‘predicting’ your fortune, they taste great and can be gobbled up in no time. They are easy to make at home, so no waiting for a Chinese takeout to get a hold of these and they make for great gifts too. Also, you can finally write your own fortune now!
What you need:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
A pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius. Also print out customised fortunes to put in the cookies.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites and vanilla until foamy. Sift in the flour, sugar and salt and fold them in the egg white mix.
3. In a baking tray, place a well-buttered cookie sheet/ butter paper and pour 2 tsp of batter at least 4 inches apart and spread them with the back of a spoon in a circular motion.
4. Bake these for 5- 10 minutes or until the cookies have turned golden in colour around the outer edge of the circle.
5. Once cooked, remove the cookies from the oven and quickly move them with a spatula and place upside down.
6. Quickly place the printed fortunes on the cookie and fold the cookie in half. Place the folded edge across the rim of a measuring cup and pull the pointed edges down.
1. Place the folded cookies into the cups of a muffin tin to hold their shape until they are firm.
2. Don’t bake more than 4 cookies at a time. They need to be hot enough to work with, making many may lead them to cool and stiffen them.
3. Try to make batter as round and even as possible for the cookie to look appealing.
4. Add a few drops of food colouring to make colourful fortune cookies.