Home-made marshmallows with hot chocolate. Photo: Nishita Chandra
Ever wondered how those fluffy, soft and melt-in-your mouth marshmallows are made? Perfect when paired with hot chocolate and even better to make S’mores with, these sweet treats are more than easy to make at home. A little messy, but again what is fun without a little mess right?
What you need:
1 cup water
1 ½ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons gelatin
Powdered sugar for dusting
Food colouring (optional)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Start by mixing half cup of water and gelatin in a bowl and keep it aside for about 10 minutes.
2. In a heavy bottom pan, add in the other half cup and the granulated sugar and stir occasionally until the sugar completely dissolves.
3. Once the sugar has dissolved, add in the gelatin and the vanilla and stir in until well combined.
4. Take it off the heat and once the mixture has cooled for about 5 minutes, start beating it on a hand mixture or in a stand mixture.
5. Beat it till it triples in size and looks white and shiny.
6. Coat the base of baking tin well with a little butter and lots of powdered sugar and add the mixture in it.
7. Add a coat of powdered sugar on top of the mix as well.
8. Let it cool for about 4 hours or until set.
9. Remove and cut into small squares or in any other shape that you prefer.
1. Make sure the water in which you mix gelatin is a slightly warm.
2. Coat the tin well with powdered sugar as marshmallow is very sticky.
3. Start beating the mix at a slow speed as it is still hot. Increase the speed slowly.