DIY Food: Make Your Own Food Colours At Home
Synthetic food colours can be harmful. Photo via Dreamstime
Food colours have become an essential part of modern cuisine since the popularity of colourful foods is on a rise. Right from rainbow-coloured cakes to colourful bagels, ice creams and what-not, they are so in.
Synthetically manufactured colours are not very good for your health, so why not have a little fun while making your own at home?
What you will need:
2 small beetroots
1 cup spinach
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 cup blueberries
To make the colour red:
1. Start by boiling the beetroot.
2. Once boiled, chop roughly and put it in a blender along with a little bit of the residual water from boiling the beetroots.
3. Blend it well and sieve it to remove any pulp and to get most of the liquid out.
4. Store this liquid in a dry container and use it to colour your food red.
To make the colour green:
1. Start by blanching the spinach.
2. Add it to a blender along with a little water and blend it well.
3. Sieve it to remove all the pulp.
4. Store this liquid in a dry container and use it to colour your food green.
To make the colour yellow:
1. Add 1/2 cup water to a pan along with the turmeric.
2. Mix well and let it boil until it combines.
3. Store this liquid in a dry container and use it to colour your food yellow.
To make the colour purple:
1. Add the blueberries in a blender along with a little water.
2. Blend it and sieve it to remove all the pulp.
3. Store this liquid in a dry container and use it to colour your food green.
1. Fresh as well as frozen fruits and vegetables can be used.
2. Make sure to sieve all the liquids well to get the best results.