Lockdown Recipe: Chicken Noodle Soup
Don't you think chicken noodle soup with pasta is like the daal khichdi/daal chawal of the western world? Indeed it is but given that its lockdown & self-quarantine time, it's time to experiment with what is available in the market. Therefore, it's the perfect recipe for quarantine. The traditional chicken soup is made by simmering chicken in water with various other ingredients which can also include a mirepoix. With a clear chicken broth, a few pieces of vegetables & shredded chicken, this classic recipe comes together with the addition of pasta, noodles, dumplings, or grains like barley and rice.
What is Mirepoix?
A mirepoix is a French technique of cooking diced vegetables in butter or oil or any other kind of fat for a long long duration. It is cooked on low temperatures without letting the vegetable change its colour.
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 small bay leaves
6 cloves, minced garlic
1 1/2 spoons of mixed herbs
Salt to taste
1 tsp pepper
1/2 spoon of turmeric
Juice of half a lemon
1 cup fusilli pasta
1 chicken breast
3 cups of water
How to make:
1. Saute the onions carrot and celery in a saucepan.
2. Add the bay leaves and saute for 5 mins.
3. Now add garlic and mixed herbs and saute for 1 more min.
4. Now add the chicken breast to the saucepan and add 3 cups of water.
5. Stir and let the chicken cook for 30 mins on a very low flame.
6. Once the chicken is cooked.
7. Get the chicken out and shred it.
8. Add it back to the pot and add the pasta
9. And cook for 7-8 mins
10. Now add salt, pepper, turmeric and squeeze the juice of half a lemon while serving.
11. Bon appetite!
Many of you must be wondering how to get hold of celery in the current lockdown period. Don't bother. Use whatever you have in your pantry- carrots, onions, peppers etc.