Secret Recipe: How To Up Your Salads From Good To Great
A great salad is one that has varied flavours & textures. Photo: India Food Network
Nothing beats a bowl of good salad on a warm summer day. Although it is no longer summer in Mumbai, it is the October heat that is worrying us.
However, you don't need an excuse to eat salads. It is a great meal in itself and keeps those calories in check. The best thing about salads is that you can customise it as per your taste.
Take that bowl of salad a notch higher with these cool tips.
1. Go for good quality greens. Make sure they are fresh, washed and dried properly for the dressing to coat well.
2. To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a jar and shake well. For instance, put your olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, lime juice and salt in a closed jar and incorporate the flavours properly.
3. Choose diverse textures to give your salad a punch. Introduce a crunchy element like toasted almonds and nuts, dried chewy fruits or basic croutons. Throw in some boiled chickpeas for a desi twist.
4. Use good quality cheeses especially imported ones. Experiment with flavour and texture combinations for that extra zing.
5. Balance out your salad with varied flavours. Ensure there is something sweet, something acidic and even something salty.
6. A great way to take your salads to a whole new level is by introducing fancy toppings. Go for quail eggs or grilled chicken among other interesting ideas.