To make the Sambar powder:
1. In a pan, add, coconut, fenugreek seeds, chillies, urad dal, chana dal, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, Guntur chillies, peppercorns and dry roast for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
2. Once slightly cool, transfer the spices into a blender jar and grind into a powder.
3. The sambar powder is ready. Set aside.
To make Sambar:
1. In a kadhai, add coconut oil.
2. Now add onions and saute until translucent.
3. Add the toor dal, salt to taste and water as required.
4. Cover with lid and cook for 10-12 minutes on a medium flame.
5. Once cooked, add the drumsticks, pumpkin, brinjal, lady's finger, carrots and tomatoes.
6. Now add the dry spices- red chilli powder, turmeric powder and sambar powder.
7. Mix well until combined and add more water as required.
8. Cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes on a medium flame.
To make the Tadka:
1. In a pan, add coconut oil.
2. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and Guntur Chillies.
3. Stir well and add the tempering to the Sambar.
4. Ready to serve with red rice.
Learn simple, easy-to-follow recipes from India's best home chefs, and explore fascinating stories about regional food.