Oct 19, 2016
We have started our countdown to Diwali. Today we are making the Rajasthani delicacy, Balushahi at home. Join us by following Neha’s simple steps. We guarantee it’ll be a success.
1. Sieve maida, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl. Add ghee and mix nicely with your finger tips. Add yogurt and mix well.
2. Add water and knead to make a soft dough. Cover and keep the dough aside for 30 minutes. Make 16-18 equal sized balls from the dough. Do not smoothen them much. Press in the center with your thumb. Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan.
3. When the ghee is slightly hot, drop the Balushahis in the ghee very gently. Do not heat the ghee very much otherwise the Balushahi will fry from outside but will remain raw from inside. Fry on very low heat till golden brown.
4. Keep changing the sides while frying, but be very gentle. Do not overload the pan. Fry the Balushahi in batches. Each batch will take around 25-30 minutes for frying. Remove from heat once done in a plate. Let cool.
5. For sugar syrup Heat sugar, water, cardamom powder and saffron in a pan. Do not stir much. Cook till the syrup reaches a 2 string consistency. To check the syrup consistency, drop a little syrup in a bowl filled with water. Touch the syrup with your forefinger.
6. Now touch your forefinger and thumb and pull apart. It should make 2 strings. Remove from heat. Dip the balushahi in the sugar syrup and remove on a plate.
7. Let them dry for 2-3 hours. Garnish with silver foil and pistachio slivers. You can store balushahi in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.