Oct 28, 2016
Diwali is that time of the year when all the sweets come out, but why not try something savoury that is fit for the occasion. Preetha Srinivasan takes you back to her kitchen shows you how to make the most scrumptiously crunch South Indian Chakli.
1. The proportion of rice flour to urad dal flour is 4:1. Keep this proportion in mind when making in bulk.
2. Sieve both flours well before use.
3. Combine the flours, salt, sesame seeds, hing and butter. Crumble to breadcrumb consistency.
4. Add water as required and knead to a soft pliable dough. If making in bulk, dont knead all the dough at once. The mixture shouldnt be absorbing moisture. Add water in batches to dry mixture as and when required.
5. Using the chakli press mould and thengoyal attachment, pipe as shown in video.
6. Deep fry on a medium flame till crisp and done. Drain on absorbent paper and store in an air tight container.