Dum Pukht Mutton Biryani
Put the fresh cut meat to good use and make this delicious Lucknowi dum pukht biryani.
1. Mix all ingredients under marination and add in the mutton pieces. Let it marinate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
2. Soak rice in water for 30 minutes
3. Boil water with the whole spices. Strain after 15-20 minutes.
4. Heat ghee in a large pan. Cook rice for 3-5 minutes or till rice turns opaque.
5. Crush & add in 2 saffron strands. Add in flavored water.
6. Bring the rice to a boil, cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Take it off the flame and let the rice rest for 5 minutes.
7. Add ghee in another heavy bottomed pan. Saute the chopped onions till they turn translucent. Add in the marinated mutton. Cook the meat for a few minutes. Cover with the lid and simmer it for another 25-30 minutes.
8. In a pot cover one layer of rice. Add in some of the mutton pieces. Repeat this alternate layering of rice and mutton pieces. Finish with a layer of rice on top.
9. Take warm milk, and add cardamom pods and saffron. Pour on top of rice.
10. Sprinkle some Kewra top of the finished biryani layers.
11. Cover with a lid and seal the vessel by applying dough or aluminum foil
12. Cook on very low flame for about half an hour.
13. Remove the seal and serve hot.