Ganpati Spl: Ulundu Kozhukattai (Savoury Modak Recipe)
It's raining Modaks because the festival of Ganesh Chaturti is upon us! A Modak is a sweet dumpling, popular during Ganesh Chaturti in Western and Southern India. After showing you how to make the dough for the modak, this time Preetha shows you how to make Ulundu Kozhukattai (Savoury Modak).
1. Soak urad dal in water for half hour or till it fluffs up.
2. Drain excess water and grind along with green chilies, salt and a pinch of turmeric. The paste should be well ground but not smooth like batter.
3. Shape this paste into equal portions and place in greased moulds or a plate. Steam for 10 minutes or till toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. Remove and keep aside to cool for few minutes. Later, crumble into breadcrumb consistency using your fingers. Keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once it crackles, add curry leaves, hing and the crumbled mixture.
6. Mix well and add coconut. You may add lime juice if you want. Once mixed, check for seasoning. If perfect, remove off flame and keep aside to cool.
7. Using prepared modak dough beforehand, shape each roundel of dough into a cup and stuff with a portion of urad dal stuffing. Seal and shape into crescents, as shown.
8. Place in greased moulds and steam using a steamer for 10 minutes or till done.
9. Remove from flame and serve warm.