How To Make Nankhatais At Home
For Monika, nothing brings back happier food memories than the taste of her Nani's Nankhatais. They are melt-in-your-mouth awesome and deserve nothing less than the highest of praise.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C In a large bowl, cream ghee and castor sugar together (the cookies are not very high on sugar and if you like them sweet, please increase the sugar to 2/3 cup instead of 1/2 cup) till light, soft and fluffy
2. Add dahi and milk to the creamed mixture and stir till just mixed
3. Sift together maida, besan, sooji, caradamom powder, nutmeg powder and baking powder.
4. Slowly mix the flour mixture to creamed ghee and sugar.
5. Don't knead, just bring them together. If the batter feels very dry add a spoon of milk or so.
6. After it has come together as a dough, make 20 balls out of it.
7. Press each ball with palm and then use a weight to flatten it thin.
8. I also like to use a cookie cutter to cut it as like smooth edges.
9. Sprinkle the cookie with almond and pistachio flakes and press them gently on the cookie
10. Line the cookie on a sheet and bake in a pre heated oven for 10-15 mins till set.
11. Cool completely and enjoy with endless cups of chai and conversations.
12. It can be stored in an airtight container for 2 weeks but I bet it won't last so long