Jul 06, 2018
– Sieve the rice flour, urad dal flour (roast and grind urad dal), roasted gram(chutney dal/dalia/pottukadalai) in a sieve for even mixing. Soak the channa dal in water for 30 minutes.
– Drain the water and add to the flour. If making urad dal flour at home, dry roast the urad dal and powder it finely.
– Mix the rice flour, urad dhal flour, and the roasted gram flour together.
– Add the curry leaves, salt, butter, red chili powder, sesame seeds.
Mix it well. Knead it into a dough adding enough water.
– The dough should be firm, not watery.
– Grease a zip lock cover with oil.
– Take a lemon sized dough and place on the cover. Place another greased cover on it and use a flat-bottomed bowl. Press it on the top with the bowl. This is to ensure even shapes. You can pat it with your fingers too. Transfer it to a clean dry towel and keep it for 5-7 minutes.
– Meanwhile, heat the oil for frying.
– Prick the thattai with a fork and slowly drop them in the oil. – ——Pricking helps the thattai to avoid raising while frying.
– When the oil is hot, keep the flame in medium.
– Drop the thattai into the oil. Fry both sides, till the sizzling sound of the oil subsidies.
– Take it out and drain in a kitchen towel.