Jun 08, 2017
1. In a large deep handi/ kadhai/ cooking pot, heat ghee, fry cashews till golden brown and keep aside.
2. Add oil and fry onions till they are golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
3. In a bowl, whisk curd and add all the other ingredients in marination section and mix well, then add mutton and coat well.
4. Add half fried onions to marinating mutton , cover and keep for minimum 4 hours. Marinations are best done overnight. (refrigerated).
5. In a large vessel, boil minimum 5 cups water with garam masala ingredients given in rice section.
6. Add salt, oil, strained rice and cook till rice is less than par boiled.
7. Strain immediately and allow cooling by spreading over a plate. (You may use strained liquid in other recipes).
8. In same pot in which onions were fried, add marinated mutton and spread well uniformly.
9. Layer with portion of par cooked rice and top with mint leaves, coriander leaves.
10. Top with remaining rice, fried onions, saffron mix, kewra, rose water and cashews.
11. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook on a high flame for 5 minutes. You may seal the lid with maida dough (which is the traditional method).
12. In mean time, heat a dosa tawa (optional). Place this pot on the tawa and cook on low flame for ½ hour or till done.
13. Check if meat is cooked and if it needs more cooking, cook for 10 more minutes on a very low flame on tawa and recheck.
14. Once done, you may garnish with more nuts, coriander etc and serve with hard boiled eggs.