Kaala Mutton is an authentic Konkani Recipe. It is a spicy mutton gravy recipe which can be served with Bhakri or Roti. If you love spicy food then this is a must try dish.
1. Apply all the ingredients mentioned under marination above to the mutton (cut into pieces). Keep aside for at least an hour, if not more
2. On the side, soak the tamarind in water and keep aside
3. Add the marinated mutton in a pan. To this. add sufficient water so that the whole mix is just-about submerged. Once the water starts to boil, cover the pan and cook it for around 30 mins.
4. To make the masala, add some oil and then add all the ingredients mentioned under fresh masala & dry masala and mix it well. Roast all the ingredients really well. Once that is done, let the mixer cool down then put it in a mixer and grind it to a coarse paste.
5.In another pan, add some oil. Then add Bayleaf, cumin seeds and finely chopped onion and fry till golden brown. Add a little water and cook till the onions are fully cooked. Then add the ground masala paste and mix it well. Next, add the cooked mutton and the tamarind pulp (from the soaked tamarind) and boil till the raw smell of tamarind goes away.
6. Adjust the water to the gravy consistency you like and bring to a boil on a slow flame for 2-3 minutes.