1. Prepare the Biryani masala.
2. Immerse the rice in water for at least 30 mins.
3. Cook the rice in boiling water with a pinch of salt and some whole spices.
4. Cut the onions and fry them in lot of oil. We need nicely caramelized onions.
5. Slow cook the chicken pieces with oil, spices, curd, chili powder and ginger garlic paste
6. Cut the potatoes in big chunks and cook them in a pressure cooker till tender.
7. Fry the potatoes in the same pan after you remove the chicken.
8. Assemble the layers in a heavy bottomed pan and cover with a lid
9. Cook for another 10 mins on a very low flame
10. Biryani is ready to serve