Mar 30, 2016
The heat from the fiery red chillies balances the sweetness of the coconut in this spicy chicken curry from the Bunt community of Mangalore.
1. Marinate the chicken with ginger, garlic and green chilli paste, tumeric powder and salt.
2. In a flat pan, heat oil and fry the whole masala with dry red chilli and half the onion for a minute.
3. Add the coconut and fry again for a minute. When it cools down, grind it into a paste.
4. In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves. Add the remaining onions and fry for 2 minutes.
5. Now add the marinated chicken and cook. Add 1 cup water and cover the lid.
6. Put the ground paste, cover and cook for five more minutes.
7. Add the tamarind pulp mix, coconut milk and cook for a few minutes.
8. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice, ghavan or chapaati.