- Take moong dal in a pan on low-medium heat and dry roast it by giving it a stir constantly till the colour changes slightly. It will take a good 8-10 minutes.
- Remove it on a plate and let it cool completely.
- Now dal is cooled to room temperature. Grind the powder using a grinder or blender.
- Add all the spices (red chilli, coriander, cumin, amchur, garam masala, fennel powder, ajwain, salt and sugar). Mix well.
- Add 1 ½ tablespoon of oil.
- Mix well so that everything is coated with oil. Then keep it aside.
Making the Dough:
- Take all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add ghee. Mix it by rubbing the flour and ghee using your fingertips. It should be a breadcrumb like texture.
- Now start adding some water at a time. And make tight and stiff yet smooth dough.
- Cover it with plastic wrap or cover with another bowl upside down.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes.
Making Khasta Kachori:
- After 15 minutes knead the dough one more time and make it smooth.
- Divide it into 20 equal portions. Roll it into smooth balls and flatten it between your palm.
- Work with one ball at a time.
- Roll it into a 2-inch diameter circle.
- Place a couple of teaspoons of stuffing mixture in the centre.
- Gather the edges and pinch it. Now press it by your hand gently.
- It should be sealed properly.
- Now using the rolling pin again roll it very gently into a 2-3 inch diameter kachori. Give it gentle pressure while rolling. So the outer layer does not break.
- Keep the rolled kachori on the plate on a single layer. Keep it covered with kitchen towel.
- When you are about to do the rolling part. Heat the oil on medium-low heat for frying.
- Once hot slide the kachori carefully into hot oil. Slightly and gently press into circular motion using a spatula.
- It will puff up. Fry till the bottom turns golden brown. Then flip it. Again fry the other side till crispy and golden brown.
- Always fry the kachori on medium-low heat to make it crispy. If fried on medium high heat then it will get soft after it cools down.
- Once fried from both the sides, remove it using the slotted spatula. And put them on paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat the same for rest.