1. Marinate the mutton with ginger-garlic-green chilli paste, yogurt, salt, 4 green cardamoms, star anise, cumin seeds, mace, cinnamon, turmeric power, red chilli powder, cloves, caraway seeds, peppercorns, nutmeg powder, garam masala powder and lemon juice.
2. Mix well and add potatoes. Mix again and set aside.
3. Boil sufficient water in a non-stick pan. Add salt, bay leaves, remaining green cardamoms, black cardamom and rice, keeping 1 cup of rice aside. Cook till rice is parboiled. Drain.
4. Boil 1 cup of rice separately, drain and set aside.
5. Grease the bottom of a handi with ghee. Put the marinated mutton and potatoes and spread evenly.
6. Spread browned onion on top and drizzle little ghee on top. Spread the cooked rice and top it with the parboiled rice and spread evenly.
7. Drizzle some more ghee on it and at the corners as well.
8. Add soaked saffron on top and cover with an aluminium foil. Seal the sides of the handi with flour dough. Place handi on heat and cook on high heat for 6-10 minutes.
9. Keep handi on a non-stick tawa and cook on dum for an hour.
10. Remove the dough seal and open the lid. Serve hot garnished with browned onions.