Pongal is a dish made during the harvest festival in South India which goes by the same name 'Pongal'. This dish is offered to everybody as 'prashad' and Preetha's recipe makes this dish easy and fun to make.
1. Wash and soak rice.
2. Meanwhile, dry roast the dals till you get a faint aroma. Add to soaked rice and pour some water. Allow to soak till next step.
3. Place earthern pot on flame. Add milk and remaining water and bring to boil.
4. The minute it boils, add soaked rice and dal. Mix well and cook on a medium flame till rice and dals are almost cooked.
5. Add jaggery and cardamom pods, mix well and cook on low flame for 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cook coconut and dry fruits in ghee for 1 minute and then add to pongal mixture.
7. Mix once and simmer for few minutes. Pongal is ready to serve.
Preetha�s endeavour is to promote south Indian cuisine through her YouTube channel, Dakshin Curry. She absolutely loves curry leaves, and can fit them happily into in any recipe. For those of you who curse the poor thing, dry roast and powder them or use them in your dishes and enjoy the health benefits she says.