1. Soak the rice for 30 minutes
2. Put all the whole spices and salt in the water and give it a boil
3. Add the soaked rice in the boiling water
4. Boil the rice and cook it to 70%
5. Take the rice out of water keep it aside.
1. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a deg (a big cooking vessel).
2. Add in cloves, cardamom, ginger and green chillies, with chicken pieces and roast for 2 minutes.
3. Add in ginger and garlic paste, dum biryani powder and roast on a high flame for 2 more minutes.
4. Once the chicken is almost done, add salt and 1 tbsp curd.
5. Mix yellow color powder with curd and beat together.
6. Pour in the vessel and mix with the chicken.
7. Layer the cooked rice on top of cooked chicken.
8. Add and hide the chilli pickle in the rice.
9. Seal the vessel with aluminum foil.
10. Cook on a low heat for 6-7 minutes.
11. Pour 3 tbsp ghee on top and cover for 10 minutes.
12. Mix the biryani and serve hot.
Sadaf Hussain is a MasterChef India 2016 finalist, TedX speaker and food and travel enthusiast. When he's not cooking delicious dishes for IFN Hindi, he blogs at www.foodandstreets.com.