India Food Network
Nov 19, 2015
Muffins are really easy to make and taste best when eaten on the day, warm, straight from the oven.
1. First, make the streusel topping. Place the butter in a large shallow bowl and sift over the flour.
2. Rub them together until it resembles large breadcrumbs. A few lumps are okay.
3. Stir in the sugar and hazelnuts.
4. Pop back in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
5. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
6. In a bowl sift together the dry ingredients – flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
7. Stir through the crushed green cardamom and hazelnuts.
8. In a large bowl mix together the wet ingredients – milk, butter, eggs and vanilla essence (if using).
9. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Quickly mix together, only using 15-20 strokes.
10. Fill the muffin cases evenly with the batter.
11. Sprinkle over the chilled streusel topping and bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes, or until they are well-risen and golden brown. Test by inserting a skewer into the middle of a muffin, it should come out clean.
12. Leave to cool on a wire rack.