Oct 10, 2018
Method of Preparation:
– Soak the rice and dry roasted dal in water separately.
– Heat the mustard oil in a pan. Add bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, and cumin seeds. Fry till aromatic.
– Add the dried red chilies and grated coconut, green chilies and sauté for ½ mins. Add the roasted dal and the cut vegetables. Add turmeric powder, ginger paste, chili powder and mix well.
– Add the rice. Add water, salt to taste and let it boil until the vegetables and the dal melts. (Tip: Make sure the amount of water should be 3-4 times the amount of rice and dal to obtain the mushy consistency of khichuri).
– Add sugar. (Tip: Add sugar in the end when boiling anything. Sugar slows the process of cooking if added in the beginning) – Heat ghee, fry paneer pieces, drain and keep aside. Fry the dry fruits in the remaining ghee and keep aside.
– Sprinkle ghee, Bengali garam masala, fried paneer and dry fruits on top.