- Put the kadai on the stove and add ghee.
- TIP: ghee is optional, you can also use oil or butter
- Once the ghee is nicely heated, add the ginger-garlic paste
- Add the chicken when the ginger-garlic paste becomes slightly brown
- Stir well so the paste coats the chicken pieces evenly
- Add the bay leaves, kalonji, methi seeds, fennel seeds, red chillies, salt and finally the red chilli powder
- Now that all the masalas are in, stir well so that the masala gets evenly coated onto the chicken pieces
- Add the onions, stir well and add the tomatoes
- Give it a nice good stir and lastly add in the yogurt
- TIP: there is no water required for cooking;the chicken will cook in the yogurt itself
- FACT: this dish is called “achari” or pickled because the masalas used in the recipe are usually used in Indian pickles.
- After giving it a nice good stir, put the lid on the kadai and let it cook for 25 minutes on low heat
- Ready to serve